Search This Blog

Friday, April 8, 2011

Marley and Me




The "Hook"
"The instructor had the class queue up and try it again. Once again Marley lurched his way manically across the black top, eyes bulging, strangling himself as he went. At the other end, Miss Dominatrix held Marley and me up to the class as an example of how not to heel a dog. 'Here,' she said impatiently, holding out her hand. 'Let me show you.' ... With a smart yank of the lead, Miss Dominatrix set off with him. But almost instantly he barreled ahead as if he were pulling the lead sled in the Iditarod. ... I should have been embarrassed, but I felt an odd sort of satisfaction that often comes with vindication. She wasn't having any more success than I was. My classmates snickered, and I beamed with perverse pride. See, my dog is awful for everyone, not just me! ...I had to admit, the scene was pretty hilarious. The two of them, having reached the end of the parking lot, turned and came lurching back toward us in fits and starts, Miss Dominatrix scowling with what clearly was apoplectic rage, Marley joyous beyond words."(pages64-65)
"Most who wrote and called simply wanted to express their sympathies to tell me they,
too, had been down this road and knew what my family was going through. Others had dogs whose lives were drawing to their inevitable ends; they dreaded what they knew was coming, just as we had dreaded it, too. (page282)

Recommendation
Have a Lab? Or, atleast a dog? John and Jenny have " The Worlds' Worst Dog," or they think Marley is. After a sweet lab died when John was a kid, he knew he needed to get another one. But instead of a sweet Lab, they get a mis-behaved silly, energetic Marley. He has chewed up, digested and even destroyed far more things than John and Jenny can even count. One time he digested a brand new golden necklace John was going to give to Jenny. What will Marley bring John, Jenny, Connor, Colleen, and Patrick next time? Love or Disaster? Find out in Marley and Me!

Warning: This book has mild language and has some parts not appropriate for kids under the age of 12. Please ask for parent permission before reading!

Book By: John Grogan
Blog by: Sheridan M.
Genre: nonfiction

3 comments: