Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Crash

Hook
"My real name is John.  John Coogan.  But everybody calls me Crash, even my parents...Actually, I lied a minute ago.  Not everybody calls me Crash.  There's one person who doesn't.  It's just one of a million things that have bugged me for years about this kid.  I can still remember the first time I saw him.  The summer before first grade, seven years ago.  It was a sunny summer day.  I was in the front yard digging a hole with my little red shovel.  I heard something like whistling.  I looked up.  It was whistling.  It was coming from a funky- looking dorky little runt walking up the sidewalk.  Only he wasn't just walking regular.  He was walking like he owned the place, both hands in his pockets, sort of swaying lah-dee-dah with each step. Strollllll-ing... And he wore a button, a big one.  It covered about half of his chest.  Which wasn't hard since his chest is so scrawny.  So here he comes strolling, whistling, gawking, buttoning, dorking up the sidewalk, onto my sidewalk, my property, and all of a sudden I knew what I had to do, like there was a big announcement coming down from the sky: Don't let him pass."(1,2)

Recommendation
   Do you have a friendship thats not really a friendship?  Crash does.  His name is Penn. They have known each other for years.  But the truth is Penn is just weird.  Every day Crash teases Penn about his clothes being from second time around and the different buttons he wears on his shirt.Throughtout the book you will notice that the teasing and the bullying is starting to happen less and less. 
  
   I highly recommend this book to people with a sense of humor.  You also have to be able to take some sadness too.
   I don't recommend this book to people who get sad very easily, or people who do not care for humor.
   WARNING: AS FUNNY IT MAY BE IN THE BEGINNG,  IT GETS SADDER AS YOU GO ALONG!!!!!

Blog by: Ella Hammes
Book by: Jerry Spinelli
Genre: Realistic fiction

No comments:

Post a Comment