Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

War With Grandpa

Hook

"I felt Grandpa’s bony hand on my arm. “War is no game, Petey” he said. “Only kids and fools and generals think that.”

“You’re my enemy” I said in a loud voice, “and I want what’s mine.”

I shook his arm off my arm. “You marched in here like an army and kicked me out of my –.”

WACK!

Grandpa’s right hand came whipping out of nowhere and slapped me hard across the cheek."

(page 32)


"There was a knock on the door, “Come on in Grampa” I called out. The door opened and Grampa was there. He had one hand covering his mouth, but his eyes looks awfully angry. He came into the room sideways, his face turned toward the window and away from me. “Ma feef air miffing” he said.

I stared at him “What?”

“My feef” he said, “You ot ma feef, ont u?”

I got out of bed. As I did that Grandpa turned his back on me. “Ont ook at me!” he said.

It sounded like he was talking Pig Latin or some type of weird language.

“I don’t understand you,” I said.

“Ma feef!” shouted Grampa. “Iff me ack ma feef, oo ittle mobber.”

Suddenly the dawn came up in my brain. That’s the way Grandpa spoke without his teeth. Amazing. And weird. “You’re asking me to give you your teeth back right?” I said.

Grampa nodded his head, his hands still covering his mouth.

“Well, “I said “You have to do something first.” (page 110)


Recommendation:


Have you ever had to give up something you love? Peter, an 11-year-old boy, has to give up his room because his elderly grandfather is moving in. So Peter decides to declare war on his grandfather to get his room back. In a way that includes stolen dentures, hanging underwear and dirty words, who will be the winner?
You may know the author Robert Kimmel Smith, who also wrote Chocolate Fever and Jelly Belly. This book is realistic fiction and would be good for anyone who likes reading books with a mixture of humor and seriousness.


Blog by: Cara L.
Book by: Robert Kimmel Smith
Genre: Realistic Fiction/Humor





3 comments:

  1. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great book!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the book in 4th grade and enjoyed it it was funny

    ReplyDelete